This white cake recipe is the perfect classic version. Light and fluffy, moist and full of flavor. There is a joke in the cake world that white is not a flavor but a white cake is not just white. Let’s dive into what makes the perfect white cake.
White cake recipes where originally created for weddings. Only the rich could afford white flour and sugar so a white cake was considered a symbol of your wealth. These days, a white cake with a fine, moist crumb is probably the most common flavor cake baked for all types of occasions.
Ironically, where I am from (Portland, Oregon) the more organic and less refined your ingredients are, the more expensive they are. Funny how things tend to go full-circle.
Many people confuse white cake recipes with yellow cake or even vanilla cake. Although similar, these actually are totally different types of cakes. Mostly to do with how the eggs are incorporated. White cake only uses the white of the egg, sometimes whipped and then folded into the batter, sometimes added directly to the butter/sugar mixture. Vanilla cake uses both the egg whites and the egg yolks (usually) and results in a slightly off-white colored cake but in my opinion has the most flavor. A yellow cake is made with the egg yolks only so the batter has a very rich and golden color with lots of flavor.
White Cake Ingredients
- 14 oz AP flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 oz unsalted butter room temp
- 14 oz sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 egg whites fresh not boxed at room temp
- 10 oz milk room temp
- 2 oz vegetable oil
- Easy Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup pasteurized egg whites room temperature
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- 2 lbs unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- Gold Drip
- 6 oz white chocolate
- 1 oz warm water
- 1 tsp warm brown food coloring
- 2 tsp truly mad plastics super gold
- 1 Tbsp everclear lemon extract or rose water can be used
- Place butter in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment and cream until smooth. Sprinkle in your sugar and then let whip on high until light and white (about 5 minutes)
- Combine your flour, baking powder and salt and set aside
- Combine milk, oil and extracts and set aside
for full recipes please see : https://sugargeekshow.com/recipe/white-cake-recipe/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest&utm_campaign=tailwind_tribes&utm_content=tribes&utm_term=311889946_9049828_232737