One of the things I love most about food blogging, other than the food, is the opportunities I have to try new products that I might never have known about or thought to try. I will admit that some of them I haven’t been thrilled with and those have never made it to the blog to be shared with all of you. When I share a new product or introduce you to a brand it’s one that I’ve taken time to do some research on and have truly enjoyed trying out and plan to continue using in the future. That is exactly what can be said for Vital Proteins and their beef gelatin that I used to make this Vanilla Yogurt Panna Cotta with Warm Berry Sauce.
Beef gelatin? Yeah I know, it doesn’t exactly sound appetizing or like something you want to eat. But, I bet you like Jello and marshmallow and those gummy, chewy fruit snacks. Well they all use gelatin, otherwise they’d never get that bouncy jiggle or gummy gelled texture that we expect. Vital Proteins gelatin is a 100% pasture-raised beef gelatin and is a great way to get collagen back into your diet. On top of the beef gelatin they also offer collagen peptides which I’ll use in a different recipe later this month.
Over the years food processing has removed collagen from our foods which is unfortunate because it’s such a healthy protein. Collagen has been shown to promote healthy skin, hair and nails, support joint and bone health, and help increase athletic performance. Of course increasing athletic performance caught my eye above everything else. Long distance running gives your muscles a beating so it’s important to give them the repair they need. Supplementing the proteins lost during endurance activities with collagen peptides may help protect connective tissues and support healthy joint maintenance therefore helping to reduce the risk of injury. It’s definitely something I plan to incorporate into my routine as I want to keep running as long as possible.
- Vanilla Yogurt Panna Cotta
- 1 cup plain non-fat or 2% Greek yogurt
- 1 cup low-fat milk, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vital Proteins Beef Gelatin mixed with 2 tablespoons of cold water until dissolved
Warm Berry Sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Get Ingredients Powered by Chicory
- Whisk together the beef gelatin and water until the gelatin dissolves and set aside for 5-10 minutes or until it firms up.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the Greek yogurt and a 1/2 cup of the milk.
for full instruction please see : reciperunner.com