It is basically Sweetened Condensed Milk that has been caramelized. I know that you can do this with Sweetened Condensed milk in the can by boiling it but that is extremely dangerous and I don’t recommend it. If you have to use sweetened condensed milk, the best way to caramelize it is to take it out of the can and cook it in a heavy bottomed sauce pot or bowl in the microwave, stirring often in the microwave and constantly on the stovetop, until it caramelizes. It will take a bit longer but you won’t have to deal with the potential aftermath of a can exploding in your face with molten hot liquid spraying you. Trust me, it ain’t pretty and it has happened to many people. BETTER YET, save all that trouble and just go buy a can of Dulce De Leche! See? I save you time, third degree burns, and permanent scarring. Just another one of the services that I offer :). Tune in next week when I will teach you how to prevent squirrels from carting you off by giving them your entire pecan harvest.
If you have the patience of a caffeinated gnat, like I do, you can put it in the oven and put the oven on low broil, stirring very often, and have it done in just a few minutes. Be careful though because it burns really quickly.
You’re going to have some leftover evaporated milk even if you use the small can. What do you do with this? Well, it makes excellent coffee creamer. Me though, I just drink it. From the can. Because I’m all classy like that.
- 1 package brownie mix of your choice (the size for a 9×13 pan), with ingredients called for on box
- 2 cups sweet or unsweet flaked coconut
- 12 ounce can Dulce De Leche*
- ¼ cup evaporated milk
- Topping: 1 cup Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Prepare brownies in a 9×13 pan according to package directions. Let cool.
- On large, rimmed baking sheet, spread out coconut and place in a 350 degree oven until toasted lightly golden, stirring often, about ten minutes.**
for full instruction please see : www.southernplate.com