Please look below on what to add to this Meatball recipe for Swedish Meatballs, Tasty Meatloaf, Hamburgers and Chicken or Turkey Burgers.
MAKES 30 MEATBALLS.
If you Follow this recipe. It will take 4 minutes to mix everything together and 4 minutes to roll the meatballs ( If you are fast enough!) and 20 minutes to cook. So, no excuses. Fresh delicious tasting meatballs in 28 min.
3 lbs Beef Chopmeat
1 tsp each of Salt, Garlic Powder and Dry Basil.
1/2 tsp of black pepper
3 leaves of fresh basil finely chopped (1 Tbs chopped)
2 lg pieces of garlic. Sliced thin and chopped fine, = (2 tsp chopped)
1 cup of grated cheese, Peccorino Romano.
1 1/4 cup of Water
1 1/2 cup of bread crumb.
(note: I have found that 4c Seasoned Breadcrumbs are toooooo salty so, I mix seasoned
and grind italian bread to make plain breadcrumbs, then mix them together to have it taste better.) 4C uses too much salt so they don’t have to use too much grated cheese. but, grated cheese is what gives your meatballs the delicious flavor.
1. Everything Highlighted in Blue above Mix In Large Bowl with whisk or fork.
All steps below mix by hand
2. Place Chopmeat in bowl and mix.
3. Put in Breadcrumbs a little at a time while mixing .
4. Add into the chopmeat 1 cup of Water. Mix and than add little bit at a time of the 1/4 cup of water that is left. ,(note below)
You should be able to feel that you can make a meatball that feels moist but not soaking wet. If you feel it is too wet add more breadcrumbs.
You can use an ice cream scooper or cup the palm of your hand and fill it with the mix. Squeeze it down than Roll your hands together making a ball.
adjust the size of the meatball to your liking.
- 5. Use a non – stick cookie sheet w/ 1/2 – 1 inch sides. (you don’t want a pan with sides too high then you cannot scoop out the meatballs and it won’t cook right, so don’t use a roasting pan)
- Add little bit of water to bottom of pan. little more than to coat it, but not for it to over flow. This will keep the meatballs moist and not to stick to the bottom of pan.
- Place meatballs side by side. They can touch each other but, don’t squish them.
Bake in oven on middle rack @ 450 degrees for about 20 minutes or until you see the meatballs cooked on top. You don’t want them dark just alittle crispy and firm.
Swedish Meatballs: Well really Italian Swedish Meatballs !!! Their great!! Great for parties!! Especially, as appetizers. (forget the chips and snacks. they are costly and your guest came over to eat, not to snack.)
Same recipe as the meatball recipe just add to mix:
1. Onion. – Finely chop onions and fry in oil. cook until yellow – light brown. drain out oil. (in a small netted colandar otherwise onions will fall through holes. so make sure your collander has small holes. I bought a small netted one works great)
- Roll meatballs small. same exact cooking instructions.
- after cooked place meatballs in a roasting pan.
Add this Gravy Topping Mix to top of swedish meatballs and bake for 5 minutes @ 400 degrees. Cook until lightly brown.
- 8 fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1 onion chopped and fried in oil and drain
- 1 reg Jar heinz beef gravy
- 2 small cans cream of mushroom (not golden cream of mushroom)
- 2tbs butter
- Water – fill heinz gravy jar w/ water.
- Put sliced mushrooms on top of meatballs (no need to pre cook they will cook in oven.)
- mix all other ingredients in pot. beat with whisk and cook on med low heat. No need to make it hot. Just enough so all the ingredients blends well. (blends well when it is warm) make sure you watch it because it will burn.
- Pour on top of swedish meatballs and bake.
NOTE: If you want to make side noodles keep 1/2 cup of mix above for noodles.
Noodles: Cook noodles & drain. Place in separate serving bowl.
In bowl put mix you saved above, Plus 2 tbs melted butter, 1 cup beef broth and 3 tbs grated cheese. Whisk together. Pour on top of pasta. ******************************************
All ingredients the same as meatballs just add: Chopped Celery & red peppers Sliced mushrooms, peas, and sauteed onions (drain out oil)Form the meatloaf into a log approx 5″ x 8″ x 4″ high. (next time I make it I will measure it. ) you probably can make around 3 meatloafs.
My Aunt Josephine likes to add hard boiled eggs. (very tasty) slice them in small pieces and add them last after everything is already mixed and you are forming the meatloaf. put some in the middle and than once formed you can insert some on the top with your finger and the close the opening by pinching it.)
Add a little oil on bottom of pan. Cover Meatloaf with foil & bake in oven @ 450 for 25 minutes.
Can be served with gravy. I sautee onions and mix with beef gravy.
Mashed Potatoes is a must!!! I freeze extra for family to take to work for lunch.
Saute Sliced onions and mushroom in a little bit of Olive Oil and once cooked add gravy
CHICKEN OR TURKEY BURGERS .Makes approx. 12 – 5 oz Burgers.
3 pounds Ground Chicken or Turkey.
Don’t use no fat ground meat, it doesn’t taste good at all. The one you should buy will say less fat on the package but don’t buy the NO FAT.
Chop up 1 pc celery, 1/4 pc red pepper, 1/4 small onion, 3 pcs mushrooms
1/2 tsp Basil and 1 pc chopped fresh garlic
a Pinch or 1/4 tsp of tsp garlic powder- granulated (not garlic salt)
2 tbs water. Put 1 Tbs in first then mix everything together. Then pour in the other TBS if needed. You need to put in enough water to make it moist but not too wet otherwise the burger won’t hold together. If that happens add more breadcrumbs .
Mix everything together..
Roll and push flat. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze.
Great on the George foreman grill