Jujube, or Chinese date, is a hoarder of nutrients. Like dates, jujube fruit is loaded with energy, essential vitamins and minerals (magnesium, potassium, copper, niacin, calcium, manganese, phosphorus, and iron), which provide its many health benefits. These erythritol sweetened cookie bars with a Quark cheese & butter crust and a streusel topping are packed full of fibre and wonderful as a breakfast cookie or a healthy after school treat.
- Cover jujube dates with water and let soak for 1 hour. Using a paring knife, slice down lengthwise into the date. Pull open the date and remove the pit. Place them in a medium pot and fill with enough water. Cover the pot, bring to a boil and simmer for 25 minutes. Use an immersion blender and blend the jujubes until smooth.
- Cook the mixture over low-medium heat until it has thickened, about 1 hour. Stir in butter and mix well. Set aside to cool.
- Place spelt, erythritol and salt for the streusel together in a mixing bowl. Add in chopped butter and vanilla extract. Rub everything together until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Place all the ingredients for the crust, except 20 grams of hazelnut meal, in a mixing bowl. Beat with a handheld mixer until a smooth dough forms. Press the dough evenly into a 22x26x4cm baking pan lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle the reserved hazelnut meal over. Spread the jujube spread over. Top with prepared streusel.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Bake the bar in the middle of hot oven for 35-40 minutes until nicely golden. Remove and cool completely before slicing into bars.