As promised in that post, I have come up with traditional handvo, trust me it’s much more delicious than instant one.
The best part I liked about this handvo is, that it is a natural probiotic which is good for complete well being. Every week I ensure to make a recipe which has natural probiotic and handvo is one of the recipe in list.
Make sure to divide the batter in two parts and add baking soda just before pouring the batter.
Yields 2 handvo
1 cup rice
1/2 cup Chana Dal
1/4 cup toor Dal/ arhar Dal
1/2 cup curd
1/4 cup turmeric powder ( haldi powder)
1/2 inch grated or finely chopped ginger
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup grated bottle gourd
1 medium sized chopped onion
1/2 tsp sugar
2 tsp baking soda or eno
1/4 TSP hing (asafoetida)
2 tsp lemon juice
1 TSP mustard seeds
1 TSP White sesame seeds
1 TSP black sesame seeds
Handful curry leaves
Salt and green chili to taste
1. Wash and soak rice and all dals overnight.
2. Drain the water and transfer in blender jar, add curd and blend to make fine paste. It will be difficult to grind the complete mix at one go, so do it in 2-3 batches and then mix all. If required add 2-3 tbsp of water. Make smooth paste.
3. Add salt and keep batter to ferment for 8-9 hours or till it rises well.
4. Once batter is nicely fermented, add chopped onion, grated bottle gourd, grated carrot, finely chopped coriander leaves, ginger, turmeric powder, sugar, hing and lemon juice. If batter is too thick add some water, make sure not to make the batter thin or flowing, I added 1/2 cup water.
5. Divide the batter in 2 equal parts.
6. Heat oil pan, add mustard seeds, sesame seeds, let it splutter on low flame, add curry leaves.
7. Keep one part of the batter ready. Once you add seeds to splutter, that time add baking soda or eno in it. Mix well, immediately pour over seeds. Reduce the flame to low. Cover and cook it for 7-10 minutes. For me it took 10 minutes. Check after 7 minutes. The upper crust should be cooked and not liquid.
8. Now keep plate on pan and turn the pan upside down to get the handvo out.
9. Now again add oil, let all the seeds splutter. Add curry leaves. Slide the handvo back in pan. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
10. Transfer in serving plate and enjoy.
1. Mix together rice and all the dals mentioned above.
2. Wash and soak overnight.
3. With curd grind in batches to make smooth paste.
4. Transfer in deep bowl and let it ferment for 8-10 hours.
5. After 10 hours. Divide batter in 2 parts.
6. Take grated vegetables.
7. Add in one part of batter, vegetables,onion, salt, turmeric, hing, sugar and lemon juice.
8. Add half cup water.
9. This is the consistency we require.
10. Heat oil in pan, add mustard seeds, sesame seeds and curry leaves.
11. Add soda. Mix well.
12. Pour the batter.
13. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
14. It should be cooked from top.
15. Touch and check, it’s not sticky.
16. Keep the plate on top.
17. Turn the pan upside down.
18. Add add some oil in pan, splutter the seeds and slide pack handvo.
19. Cover and cook for more 5-6 minutes.
20. It’s done from the other side too.
21. Slice and serve or pack in school lunch box.
22. It’s done.
23. Slice and serve.
24. It’s super healthy and super yum.