- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shells, deep dish
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
- 2 1⁄2 cups scalded whole milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix together eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Stir well. Blend in the scalded milk. For more yellow color, add a few drops yellow food coloring.
- Brush inside bottom and sides of pie crust with egg white to help prevent a soggy crust. Pour custard mixture into piecrust. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. (Please adjust according to your oven) Cool on rack.
for full recipes please see : homefamilyrecipes.com