Nothing is better than fresh homemade bread! These sweet, soft bread buns with a buttery coconut filling are so yummy that I can’t stop eating them. The dough, made with a mix of einkorn and wheat flour, aronia powder and coconut milk, is tender, soft and full of flavour. You can replace aronia powder with green tea, beet or moringa powder.
- Cream butter and raw sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg until combined. Add in desiccated coconut. Stir to combine. Add in coconut milk until well incorporated. Cover with a plastic wrap and set aside until ready for use.
In the bowl of your stand mixer attached with a dough hook, add coconut milk, egg, raw sugar, einkorn, bread flour, yeast and salt. Mix everything at slow speed just until flour is moistened. Turn speed to medium. Knead the dough until it is smooth and gathering in the center, about 8 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a ball. Grease the mixing bowl with a little bit of oil. Return the dough to the bowl. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and set it on a warm place for an hour or until doubled in size. Grease a 26-cm springform pan with butter.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions. Lightly dust the work area with flour and roll each portion into a rectangle that is about 5mm thick.
- Spread 1/8 of the coconut filling on the dough, leaving about 1cm border on sides. Roll the log tightly and pinch the seams and the ends to seal.
- Position the log with the seam side down. Using a knife, start to slice each log vertically leaving about 1/4 inch on one end uncut. Rotate the two split logs so that the cut sides are facing up. Gently twist the two cut logs together in a spiral manner, as if braiding. Form a coil and tuck the end under it. Place into the springform pan
. Repeat with other logs. Cover and let rise for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Brush the surface of the rolls with the egg wash. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until rolls are golden brown.