Do try this super recipe this winter and let your kids enjoy healthy cake.
18-20 dates / Khajoor
10 figs / Anjeer (optional)
10-12 raisins (optional)
1+1/4 cup water for boiling dates
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup melted and cooled butter
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup warm milk
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 cup toasted walnuts or pecans or almonds
1. Sift together whole-wheat flour, baking powder and cinnamon powder. Keep aside.
2. De-seed dates and slit them into half.
3. In a saucepan, add water and dates, bring it to boil till dates becomes soft. Turn off the flame and add baking soda, you will see the foam and change in colour. Let it cool down at a bit. In blender jar, pulse to make fine paste.
4. In whisking bowl or deep bowl, whisk together melted butter, dates puree and sugar. Add sifted flour mix.
5. Add milk and mix well. The batter will be thick and little stick and not of dropping consistency.
6. Add chopped fig, some raisins and toasted walnuts and pecans.
7. Transfer in greased or lined baking tray or loaf.
8. Bake in pre-heated oven at 160°C for 35-40 minutes. It took me exact 37 minutes to get perfectly baked cake.
9. Let it cool down completely. Slice and serve with hot milk or pack in kids school lunch box.
1. Cook dates in hot boiling water till soft.
2. Turn off the flame and baking soda.
3. Mix, you will get this frothy mix.
4. Keep aside to cool completely.
5. Once cool down completely pulse to make fine puree.
6. Using a whisk or stand mixer combine well dates puree, melted butter and sugar.
7. Whisk it till well combined.
8. Add flour mix.
9. Add milk.
10. Add nuts, anjeer and raisins.
11. Transfer the batter in greased or lined sheet tin.
12. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 160°C. Check after 35 minutes.
13. Slice and serve.
14. Absolutely yummy!