Everybody loves churros, mostly because of their crispy exterior covered with cinnamon and sugar. But, churros are not exactly healthy food since they are fried in a lot of oil, in the same way as doughnuts.
To make slightly healthier version, I made baked doughnuts, brushed them with melted butter and sprinkled with sugar-cinnamon mixture. I didn’t use any yeast to make doughnuts, which shortens the time needed to prepare them, and there is no need to knead them.
Served with thick chocolate sauce, baked Churro Doughnuts are a great way to enjoy the taste of churros while eating significantly less fat.
- 1/2 cup (125 g) butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar 85 g
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tsp rum optional
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 250 g
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter melted, 57 g
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 3 tsp corn starch
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 50 g chocolate
- sugar to taste
- Beat butter until foamy. Gradually add sugar and vanilla extract and beat to make a smooth mixture. Then add the eggs one at a time with a pinch of salt and rum.
- Mix baking powder with the sieved flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add flour mixture alternately with the milk to the creamed mixture. Use sufficient milk to produce a semi-liquid dough which runs off the spoon (like waffle or pancake dough).
for full recipes please see : www.kitchennostalgia.com