My kids are great fan of Unibic choco kiss cookies which have lava chocolate inside. While eating those cookies my daughter asked me “Can you make these cookies at home?” I said,”I don’t know, but will surely try”
Then just for an experiment sake I made ganache and tried these cookies and that too with whole wheat flour….and to my surprise it was a big hit among my kids and hubby!
I could not nailed the crunchy outer part that perfectly but inside part was much more delicious.
Trust me you and your kids gonna love these cookies, these are one of the best cookies I have ever experimented.
You can try other cookies like: chocolate dipped cookies, super soft chocolate chip cookies, chocolate sandwich cookie and many more under cookies section.
Serves: 7-8 cookies
1+ 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
1/2 cup cream (I used heavy whipped cream)
1 cup whole wheat flour (Atta) or all – purpose flour
1/2 cup softened butter (room temperature)
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2-3 tbsp milk ( or more depending on the flour)
Warm cream, don’t bring it to boil, put it all over the chopped chocolate, cover for 5-10 minutes. Mix well. If you see any chunks of chocolate, microwave for 30 seconds or more to get smooth ganache. let it set overnight in fridge.
Next day before making cookies, scoop out 1 tsp of heaped ganache and roll it round using your hands. Dust your palm and fingers with cocoa powder to avoid stickiness. Keep ganache balls back in the fridge while you prepare the dough.
For cookie dough:
1. Beat together butter and sugar till creamy and pale in colour.
2. Add flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Mix well.
3. Add milk little by little (whole wheat flour will require more milk as compared to all purpose flour) to combine the dough. The dough should be sticky otherwise cookies will not hold shape.
4. Take large spoons of cookie dough, flatten on your palm, keep ganache balls and wrap the dough around it and roll into balls. Place on the baking sheet. Do not flatten the cookie.
5. Bake at 180°C for 10-12 minutes. Let cookies cool down for at least 10 minutes.
6. Enjoy these lava cookies….trust me these are one of the best cookies I experimented till now.
1. Ganache should be hard. Little bit sticky ganache should not be a problem, if you can handle.
2. I used heavy whipping cream for making ganache which had added sugar, due to which ganache was sweet. To suppress over sweetness of cookies I added 1/3 cup of sugar. If you are using unsweetened cream increase the sugar to 1/2 cup.
3. If using all-purpose flour, add 1-2 tbsp of milk. It’s very important to have little sticky dough.
4. It’s very important to have cookie dough bigger than ganache roll. Dust your palm with cocoa powder before making cookies to avoid mess.
5. If you get cracks will wrapping the dough, ganache will leak, but still cookies will hold the shape and taste good 😉
6. It’s important to let cookies cool down to room temperature.
7. Ganache will set if cookies will be kept for more than 2 hours, in that case warm cookies for 5-10 seconds in microwave to get lava back.
8. In winters, it will remain liquid for 2 hours and in summers it might remain liquid for more than 2 hours.
1. Take out about 1 teaspoon of ganache.
2. Using your hands roll it in a ball shape.
3. Keep it in the fridge till the time you prepare cookie dough.
4. Mix together butter and sugar.
5. Beat well till creamy and pale.
6. Add flour and cocoa powder.
7. Mix well.
8. Add milk little by little. The dough will be little sticky.
9. Dust cocoa powder on your palm. Taje large spoon of cookie dough.
10. Press it flat from all the sides and center.
11.Keep small scoop of ganache.
12. Wrap the dough around.
13. Place on baking sheet. Bake at 180°C for 10-12 minutes.
14. Wait for it to come down to room temperature.
15. I broke the cookie after 30 minutes.
17. Closer look!
SOME SUCCESS STORIES!
1. By Preeti Rani.
2. By Ramya Simhadri.
2. By Neha Binnay
3. By Anuja Sahgal.
4. By Sonu Nawabi Punjabi.