Chickpeas are loaded with protein and freshly chopped salad inside makes it all the more healthy, yummy and crispy.
I added green chutney in it which I made without green chilies due to children. You can use the spicy one depending on the tolerance level of your child, but don’t skip using green chutney as it enhances the taste.
Do add extra cheese specially if making for children, they will love it all the more.
Adding salad seasoning is optional, as I had available with me I used it.
If you like the recipe don’t forget to share your feedback.
For Chickpeas layer:
1 cup chickpeas
1/2 inch grated or finely chopped ginger
1 tsp chaat masala
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi powder)
1/2 freshly squeezed lemon (optional)
Salt to taste
Some freshly chopped coriander leaves
For vegetable layer:
1 small finely chopped onion
1 small finely chopped tomatoes
1 small chopped capsicum
1/2 cup crumbled or grated paneer
1/4 cup grated cheese ( optional)
Salt and pepper
Some salad dressing or 1 TSP mayonnaise
10-12 bread slices
Green chutney ( coriander chutney)
Soak and boil 1/2 cup chickpeas overnight or for 8-9 hours. Let it cool down completely. I boiled it and refrigerated 1 day prior with some water in it to avoid dryness.
Next morning I prepared rest of the things.
Add some ghee or oil in pan, saute ginger for minute.
Add haldi powder. Mix well. Add boiled chickpeas. Mix well and mash it with the help of fork or masher. Mash all the chickpeas coarsely.
Add salt, pepper and chaat masala. Mix well. Add freshly chopped coriander leaves and turn off the flame. Keep it aside.
Now in a bowl add all the ingredients mentioned under vegetable layer. Mix well. I had leftover salad dressing so I used it. You can add mayonnaise or sandwich spread. It’s required to use either of it to combine the vegetables else it will come out while eating.
Now let’s prepare the sandwich
Take 3 bread slices
Spread green chutney on one slice, tomato sauce on other slice and leave one bread plain.
Keep generous filling of chickpeas on green chutney slice and generous amount of vegetable filing on tomato sauce slice. Keep one slice on the other facing filling side upside as shown in pic below, ending with the plain slice.
Heat pan, add oil and butter, keep sandwich. To get nice crispiness keep heavy weight on sandwich and reduce gas flame to low. I used plate then I kept Mortar and Pestle to press the bread hard to give it nice crispiness without toaster.
Cut into desired shape and pack in kids school lunch box or serve in breakfast.
1. Mix all the chopped vegetables, cheese and paneer and keep aside.
2. I added 2 tbsp of chipotle sauce which is completely optional.
3. Heat some oil in pan, saute ginger.
4. Add turmeric powder.
5. Add chickpeas and other spices.
5. Mash well.
6. Some lemon juice.
7. Add some chopped freshly
8. Trim the edges of bread slices. On two slices spread tomato sauce and green chutney.
9. Place vegetable mix on tomato sauce slice and chickpeas mix on green chutney.
10. Place one slice on the other facing filling bread upside.
11. Cover with plain bread. Apply butter on bread and toast.
12. Cook from the side where bread is applied. Keep the flame low, keep heavy weight and cook till crisp.
13. Apply butter on the top side and flip and cook.
15. Pack in kids school lunch box.