Serves: 4-5 medium sized bowls
1/2 cup kala chana (brown chickpeas)
1 cup chopped bottle gourd (Lauki / Gheeya)
1 medium sized chopped potato
2 medium sized finely chopped onion
2 medium sized finely chopped tomatoes
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi powder)
1 tsp coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 tsp all – spice powder (garam masala)
2-3 tbsp oil or ghee
salt and red chilli to taste
Wash and soak chana overnight. Next morning transfer peas in pressure cooker with 1 cup water and cook till done. Let pressure cooker de-pressurise naturally.
Add chopped bottle gourd, potatoes, salt and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder. Give 2 whistles on high flame. Turn off the flame and keep aside.
In a pan, add ghee or oil, put cumin seeds. Let it splutter.
Add chopped onion. Saute till golden in color. Add ginger-garlic paste. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
1. Cook washed and soaked chana in pressure cooker.
2. Chop bottle gourd and potato.
3. Once chana is just cooked add bottle gourd, turmeric and give 2 whistles. Turn off the flame and let it de-pressurise naturally.
4. It’s done. Keep aside and prepare masala.
5. Add oil in pan, let cumin seeds splutter.
7. Add ginger garlic paste. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
8. Add salt and other spices.
10. Little water.
11. Cover and cook till tomatoes are soft and tender.
12. Masala is ready.
13. Transfer cooked lauki and chana in it.
14. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with chapati.