These refined sugar free dainty friands, lightly sweetened with erythritol, are so easy and quick to make and are pure perfection when paired with nutty brown butter and plump, juicy blueberries. These little bites will definitely make a great addition to your summer picnic basket or an afternoon tea spread.
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F. Lightly butter a 24-hole muffin pan or a regular 12-hole muffin pan.
- Spread almond meal on a parchment lined baking sheet. Toast for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until toasted and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, then cook for a few minutes, until the water boils off and it starts to bubble up into a buttery foam. Swirl the pan, until the butter takes on the brown of hazelnut shells. Remove from heat. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool.
- Sift erythritol icing sugar and einkorn flour into a large bowl. Stir in almond meal. Make a well in the centre.
- Gradually add egg whites, stirring constantly with a metal spoon until combined. Add butter and stir until well combined. Gently fold in berries. Spoon the batter among the prepared muffin holes. Bake for 12 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.