This is a delicious way to get more nutrient-dense liver into your diet and a great addition to any party. Perfect for feeding a crowd with some crackers, or toasted French bread and seasonal fruit on the side. This recipe is gluten-free, low-carbs, and keto-friendly. If you want to make it dairy-free, just replace ghee with olive oil or coconut oil, and heavy cream with coconut cream.
- Gently rinse liver under cold water. Slice and place them in a large bowl, barely cover with water and add the juice of a lemon. Soak for an hour before cooking, drain and pat dry.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add ghee and cook shallots and ginger for 5 minutes until aromatic.
- Add liver slices and cook until no longer pink inside, about 7 minutes. Stir in brandy if using. Remove from heat and cool for a few minutes, then transfer to a food processor. Add salt, peppers, nutmeg, sage, and heavy cream. Blend until smooth.
- Pack into small serving dishes, then cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Melt ghee or butter for the topping. Cool slightly and pour over pate. Top with pink peppercorns and pine nuts or hemp seeds.
- Once the butter sets, cover the pate with plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight to set and develop the flavours. The pate can be stored for up to 5 days in the fridge.